"The Value of Color"
Plein Air/Studio Workshop
October 17-19, 2018
29 West 200
St. George, Utah
Call to register – 801-210-2853
click here for brochure
Kathryn Stats will be teaching a part plein air/part studio workshop in St. George this fall! This workshop addresses problems encountered in designing a painting on location through the following concepts and techniques:
- Rearranging masses to form a more pleasing pattern.
- Changing spacial relationships.
- Emphasizing or minimizing elements to produce a strong design that will carry the piece from an average, "okay" work to a provocative piece that draws the viewer to stay focused for longer and not just pass over the picture.
- The number of values and percentage of each of those values in relationship to total mass.
- Applying color within defined value boundaries.
We will be working both indoors and outdoors in the beautiful environs of the St. George and Zion areas, this workshop will introduce principles and ideas that are as important to studio work as they are to plein air work. This class is open to anyone at the Advanced Beginner / Intermediate / Advanced levels, who regularly work direct from nature, but are also practiced studio painters. It’s designed for committed artists who practice their craft regularly but want to take their work and their thought process to the next level.